The Importance of Preventive Care
Would you like your smile to serve you well for life? At Dr. Robert Wyler's Waukesha, WI, office, preventive family dentistry services help patients achieve that goal. We offer a regular program of care that begins early in life and takes people through adulthood with great oral health and smile aesthetics.
Shiny, white, and strong
Wouldn't you like to use these words to describe your smile? And, what about the rest of your family? Kids need great oral health, too.
Dr. Robert Wyler and his team provide state of the art preventive dentistry services for families in the Waukesha, WI, area. They agree with the American Dental Association (ADA) that regular at-home and in-office care pay great dividends and help avoid expensive, complicated, and uncomfortable restorative procedures.
Here's what happens during a routine appointment at Dr. Wyler's office:
- The hygienist scales all tooth surfaces to remove harmful plaque and tartar. For patients who are cavity-prone, Dr. Wyler may recommend fluoride varnishes to strengthen tooth enamel and probiotic lozenges to increase the activity of beneficial oral bacteria.
- Taken at regular intervals, digital X-rays assess bone structure and reveal decay hidden between teeth and under the gums.
- Your gum pockets, or sulci, are gently measured. Pockets deeper than three millimeters indicate gum disease.
- Dr. Wyler looks for decay, signs of gum disease, jaw joint operation, and dental alignment, particularly in growing children. He recommends an orthodontic evaluation for kids by age seven to catch and correct problematic dental development as early as possible.
- Dr. Wyler looks at all your restorations and comprises a treatment plan to include needed services, such as fillings, and cosmetic recommendations as well.
Brush twice daily with a quality fluoride toothpaste. Floss around your teeth twice a day. Use a mouth rinse for added antibacterial action.
Be sure you and your family limit carbohydrates, increase fiber, and drink at least eight glasses of water a day to keep teeth clean, limit stains, and increase saliva. Saliva is a natural antibacterial agent that benefits both tooth enamel and gum tissue.
Finally, have kids wear athletic mouthguards if they play sports. These acrylic devices protect young mouths from undue trauma and reduce the destructive forces of teeth clenching.
It's so important
You'll never regret taking care of your oral health. So, to learn more about preventive care, contact your family dentist in Waukesha, WI, Dr. Robert Wyler. He has dedicated his practice to high-quality dental services for people of all ages. Phone us at (262) 784-5757.